Two of my great friends, Haley and Rob, had their wedding this weekend and it was BEAUTIFUL. They've been together for 9 years (that's pretty impressive for anyone, let alone a couple of 22-year-olds!) and it was the best wedding I've ever been to! And I got to be a bridesmaid, too! Simcha! [Hebrew meaning "joy so great, one cannot help but dance"]I also got to see lots of great people I've known for years and it was really exciting to tell them about teaching in Korea. Lacey and I have been talking to people about this for about two months now, while we've been doing research and working with our recruiters. We've come to expect some pretty mixed reactions. Pretty obviously, when people we talk to are really excited about our new adventure and supportive, those are really fun conversations. While sometimes less positive conversations can feel a little tiring, usually the person we're speaking to is just showing concern for our safety and love for us. And sometimes xenophobia is involved. But either way, these conversations have helped me think critically about this process and given me great questions to ask my recruiter. So, the reactions from people at the wedding were all over the map and it was great.
This past Friday, I shipped off the paperwork in order to be issued my visa number (with the help of Sara, Tristan, and my parents). And in a few hours, Lindsay and I are going to have our first phone conversation.
Well, I promised to be coherant at 8:30am and I need to be productive at work, so I ought to go sleep for a bit. Congratulations again to Haley & Rob Yaple! Gotta give special props to Haley--the OG Procrasti-Masta.
-Tamz
No comments:
Post a Comment