Sunday, August 30, 2009

something, something, sooomething, ICED COFFEE!

I woke up at 6am for the second day in a row, so that seems to be when I want to get up...which means not being late for work! Hurrah! Did some yoga, hung up laundry, and listened to the Korean music playing outside. Although I like not feeling rushed into teaching, not starting until next Monday, not having a cell phone yet, and not having internet access in my room is a bit alienating (not quite the word I mean?). Only a spoonful, though. I did write out some hackjob Korean to ask if I could log on to the internet despite not being a student at the college (which I doubt anyway) and asked a few people. A boy I approached giggled at me (I used math symbols because I don't know the grammatical structure and drew a house, so I'd laugh at me too). I added my name, that I don't speak much Korean, and taped it to my door.

Yes, I'm aware that 9/10 of my photos are shoddy beyond reason--not the best digital camera have I.

I had fun going to a restaurant down the street today. I managed to say bap (rice), kimchi, and johhneen (good), mul jom juseyo (please bring me some water), plus the polite phrases I've been using. The waitress did offer me a fork because I was h-havin' a little trouble with my chopsticks, but I declined her offer so I could practice. I think the metal ones are slipperier than the wooden ones I normally use. I absolutely LOVED the kimchi soup.

After lunch, I bought some more groceries. It's nice only buying a few meals at a time because the store is right around the corner. I was going to get a giant dried fish, but the eggs were more expensive than I thought. I did get giant vegatables, though!


Sometime this week, I'm going to get a tour of Gwangju with one of Lindsay's friends. I'm looking forward to the adventure and interaction (riding the bus: round 2). And I'm working on coordinating a trip to the hospital for my medical exam with Euna, a nurse friend of Lindsay's (what a great kid!). I called Euna today from a payphone and hung up on her twice because I was only putting in 100 won at a time (roughly $0.10). Oooops. She was incredibly patient about it, though. After the exam, I go get my alien registration card.

I read some and then caught the second hour of The Golden Compass this afternoon while lazing about. Definitely want to read His Dark Materials, the trilogy that movie was based on. The world was really intriguing. I also decided that with only about 15 hours of teaching to do per week, I'd finally get around to editing the slides for my portfolio (and maybe do some writing I was asked to do). Once I have my laptop online, I can get some other art supplies from Dick Blick (I think?) to work on Haley and Rob's wedding gift. And soon I can journey to some temples for drawing.

For dinner, I made rice with those veggies, pepper, garlic, and a fried egg on top. Super good! So, pretty good day. Things will start swinging soon enough...I had to remind myself that today was only my third day in Korea. I'm a silly pups and want to know my way around like yesterday.

I just remembered this morning that I went to get some coffee at the PC bang and the woman in front of me gve me hers first. How kind was that?! Also, commercial jingles here are entirely too catchy. The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment