Friday, December 18, 2009

I made a promise to snow fight with Korean 8th graders. Famous last words.

On 15 December 2009
"I don't like artists. Their sexual mind is too open." -The Cha //

I'm flying to Germany on January 15th! I can't believe I'm actually going! I'm SOOOO excited! I get to see where I was born, meet my grandmother (Oma) and uncle (Onkel), and learn about my mother's LIFE (as opposed to only knowing about her death). I never thought this would really happen.

Now to figure out if I'm going to bop around Seoul from January 11th to the 15th (and if so, what to do and where to stay) or if I should come back home and paint for a few days.

Koreans give detergent and toilet paper as a house warming gift. They give toilet paper because it peels away easily and quickly, just like life (kind of depressing) and detergent because it washes away the dirt, expressing a hope for the bad in life to be washed away.

It's snowing here! Tons! And hopefully my friend Debra can still come hang out this evening...as long as they don't stop the buses. At any rate, we're going to Boseong Tea Fields tomorrow. Debra is a photographer and will take amazing pictures. I will take fuzzy blueish snapshots of things that are actually pretty. [Check out some awesome images via this dude's blog entry. ]

I had some great classes this week and managed to find an excuse to play [MUTO] by BluBlu. Today's 8th grade class was the best class I've had in ages. We translated jokes into English. Probably the best was this one:

Two muffins were baking in an oven. One muffin looked at the other and said, "Hey man, is it getting hot in here?" The other muffin said, "Ahhhhh! You can talk!"

I even got a student to translate it into Korean! I understood "hot" (deowa) and "Ahhhh!"

AND on the way home, I talked to this woman and her twin sons that I ride the bus with all the time. We took a cab together from the Naju bus terminal and the boys retaught me Paper, Rock, Scissors (Kawi-Bawi-Bo or Scissors, Rock, Paper) and I taught them in English. And now we have each other's names. The mom's name is Me-Sim (almost like my mom's name, Missy) and the boys are Seung-oo and Sohn-oo. The boys thought my name sounded like "terminator," haha.

That's it for now!

-Tamz

4 comments:

  1. hahahahaha cute :) Ta-ma-nae-ta!!!

    You've never heard the muffin joke in English? I'm pretty sure that was teh funniest joke I heard int he 6th grade. (not joking)...., But I'm surprised you liked it, since it IS a pun :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to call me that, haha. ^_^

    It is NOT a pun! If it were like "It's sure hot in here." "Yeah, I may just blow my top." THEN it would be a cringe-worthy, awful pun joke.

    I've heard it before. I meant it was the most fun to do with the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures rocked my face off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder who you^ are.

    We ended up not making it to Boseong... We left a bit too late (my fault) and we had two sets of directions to work from. One set was more rural and I neglected to make sure I had things written down in Korean, so I wasn't brave enough for that route. The other directions we had proved to be faulty (-10 points, The Cha) and after a few hours of mucking around, we gave up. We lost some time, some fare, a glove each, but we DID end up ordering the best pizza either of us has had in Korea. And Debra made a beautiful painting...that I should photograph. Poor thing forgot to do it and now she's going to get the ol' blueNblurry.

    This is a long comment, but fuck it, it's my blog. ^_^

    ReplyDelete