Thursday, March 11, 2010

Update this week. PROMISE.

For now, here's a Cha quote.

The Cha: You should knock on your neighbors' door and invite them for coffee.
Me: ...I don't have any Korean and they might not have any English.
The Cha: You can have a language exchange!
Me: Well, I understand that, but when I knock on the door in the first place, it might be difficult to explain all of that. And I don't want to bother them.
The Cha: No problem! Koreans like to bother people!

Edit: Saturday, 13 March 2010
And another!

"As a punishment from the G-d, the world has different languages. I told this to the students." -The Cha, after having me read a text with the students four times in a row.

At first, I thought she was just pontificating about the difficulty of language learning (boy, did I hate dragging them through that reading the fourth time). It was a couple of seconds before she said "I told this to the students." Which, of course, made me burst into laughter, startling the students (who were scooting off after the bell). The Cha's comedic timing is amazing (even when it's not on purpose...I can't always tell). The conversation then continued.

The Cha: The first punishment from the G-d was to split women from men.
Me: (still thinking in terms of Biblical references) No, G-d did that because Adam was lonely. G-d saw that it was not good for him to be alone.
The Cha: (who is a Buddhist and will mash up philosophies as she pleases) Now men and women feel lonely. They used to be together in each person, but then the G-d split them apart. 
 Me: Oh, that's from *Plato!
The Cha: And now there are misunderstandings and love is difficult. That's the real problem.

*You can read that particular bit of philosophy [ here ], if you're curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment