Thursday, September 17, 2009

So, how does teaching work, exactly?

My friend Gina from the states asked me how I actually teach and I thought I'd post my answer here.

Well, in my middle school, my job is to do about 10 minutes of going over common English phrases (how are you, how's the weather, etc) and then design an activity to get the students talking as much as possible. Generally, a game format works well. Make a sentence with the word in the square tic-tac-toe is planned today. For the high school, I have to use a book. So I go over the lesson and make a powerpoint with vocab and pictures highlighted. More structure there, but sometimes the content is SUPER boring or lame. And for both, lots of waving my arms around and drawing pictures on the board.

Oh, it's important to add that for the middle schoolers, I have a token system in place. Every class, the students who are the most involved get a token. 20 tokens earns them a free movie ticket for a cinema in Gwangju. It's not really clear if I'm allowed to do this in the high school yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment