By the end of this month, every single staff member in the English department that was here when I arrived in December will have left. Plus the manager and two math teachers in the near future. More may be on their way out, but my rumor hearing ability is limited.
Time to look up how to file for that unemployment I've signed up for. I don't know how they'll manage to keep the school afloat when 2/5 teachers (at least) are leaving from 2/3 departments (at least). If classes have to start being cancelled or parents start to think "uhm, why is all of the staff leaving? clearly something is wrong. maybe my kid goes to a different hagwon. perhaps the one of the other 2 in the same building...." Well. The hagwon will be forced to close. And I will have no idea until I try to come in to work one day and the doors are padlocked shut.
Again, all of this is said with an air of practicality. I know how to get my wages ("labor board" is "노동위원회" in Korean), will soon learn how to get the insurance, and the rest is just annoying logistics.
Oh, Korea.
In other news, it's getting warmer by the day (haven't worn my underarmor in ages!) and some outdoor playtime is scheduled before work on Friday. Also, Korea's independence day is this Tuesday so that's another day off. Korea has like a bajillion (approx. 14) holidays every year. It's badass.
I should be lesson planning...I should have since 2:30pm, but it's hard when you're vaguely aware that the school's entire curriculum is going to be changed probably sometime in the next week or so. But it's unlikely that the littles' books will change (this is an "elc" school, so the littles have to use "elc" books. It's a franchise thing) and the Free Talking curriculum 1. takes ages to prepare and 2. is up to me. Ok. I only teach 1 class today and there's time yet. Ugh, the Kjasa boys are so over me/English. Anyway, I'm a bit bolstered, so I'm off. weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

No comments:
Post a Comment